Wednesday 23 December 2020

I make - Boiled Fruit Cake II

I set out to make a blond version of my first boiled fruit cake but I'm afraid the simmering process of the dried fruits pretty much renders this impossible. I guess I have to switch to other type of dried fruits of lighter color. The color doesn't really bother me though. It's more for the visual effect in this case. The taste is festive and joyful. The sweetness is just right here with all the dried and candied fruits studded in the cake, which I am pleased with. The bright red fruits are the fresh cranberries. I think Christmas needs some red. You can use maraschino cherries if preferred.

Yes, I know you are supposed to feed, dress and cut the Christmas cake on the Christmas Day but nothing is quite traditional in this household. With this slice, I wish you a warm and peaceful end of year holiday.

Christmas Fruitcake 2020

Not So Blond Boiled Fruit Cake (But Still Tastes Fab)

100 g butter
100 g sugar
350 g dried fruit mix (can be up to 450 g)
Zest from 1 lemon (or orange)
225 g rum-water mix (50% each)
1 tsp glycerin
2 eggs, beaten
175 g gluten-free flour (your favorite blend)* + 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (if your blend does not include)
50 g ground almond
A scant 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mixed spice

Combine butter, sugar, dried fruits, citrus zest and the rum/water mixture. Bring slowly to the boil then simmer for 1 minute. Allow to cool for about an hour.

Preheat the oven at 180C. Grease and line a 20-cm round tin.

In a mixing bowl, combine the dried fruit mixture, glycerin and the beaten eggs. Mix to combine. Sift in flour, ground almond, salt, bicarb and mixed spice. Mix well then tip into your prepared tin. Bake at 180C for about 30-40 minutes (or 160C for longer) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Cover and store, if possible, for a few days before serving.

*Note: I use 25% Buckwheat + 25% White Rice + 30% Cornmeal + 20% Cornstarch

No comments:

Post a Comment