Thursday 3 December 2020

I bake - Biscotti

My first attempt with Biscotti. Mum gave me the recipe and here are the results (with gluten free flour). Overall pretty good but I found the dough a bit dry. I had to add some liquid in. Maybe try two eggs next time.

Biscotti I

1 egg
50 g sugar
Zest from 1 orange
1/8 tsp salt
50 g or half cup dried fruits and/or nuts (mix-ins)
120 g gluten free flour (your favorite blend)* + 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
25 g ground almond
10 g melted butter or oil

Preheat oven at 170C.

Beat the egg, orange zest, salt and sugar until light and fluffy (Mum said it's key). Stir in the mix-ins. Mixing in dried fruits/nuts at this stage helps better distribution in the final dough.

Sift in flour (with xanthan gum) and ground almond to the egg mixture. Stir until everything is combined, and then followed by melted butter or oil. Mix again. If the dough is dry, add some milk/cream/yogurt/water or vodka. One tablespoon may be enough.

Scoop the dough (very sticky) to a parchment paper lined baking tray. Try to shape it into a log. I use a spoon but floured hands may work too. 

Bake at 170C for 20 minutes until the edges are lightly brown. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Use a serrated knife and slice diagonally to 1-cm slices. Lay each slice on the cut side down and bake for another 15-20 minutes at 160C. Turn each slice halfway through. Cool completely before serving.

*My blend is: 25% White Rice + 25% Millet + 30% Buckwheat + 25% Tapioca 

No comments:

Post a Comment