Saturday 17 October 2020

I make - Boiled Fruit Cake

I like the dark colored interior studded with jewel-liked dried fruits, very seasonal, feeling festive. The name doesn't sound very appetizing and the look is unassuming. It yields a good tasting fruit cake, juicy and plump fruits with aromatic and tender crumbs, not to mention that it's quick to put together. 

For dried fruit mix, my absolute favorite component is sour cherries. So I make sure I have 25-30% of them in my mix. The rest consists of currants, raisins, sultanas and citrus peels. The choice is yours. You also have full control of the liquid to rehydrate the fruits, from water, juice, tea or mixed with some alcohol. Personally I find the smell of butter, rum and brown sugar irresistible and that's what I used.


Boiled Fruit Cake

100 g butter
100-150 g brown sugar
350 g dried fruit mix (can be up to 450 g)
225 g rum-water mix (50% each)
2 eggs, beaten
225 g gluten-free flour (your favorite blend)* + 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (if your blend does not include)
A scant 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mixed spice

Combine butter, sugar, dried fruits and liquid of choice. Bring slowly to the boil then simmer for 1 minute. Allow to cool for about an hour.

Preheat the oven at 180C. Grease and line a loaf tin.

In a mixing bowl, combine the dried fruit mixture and the beaten eggs. Mix to combine. Sift in flour, salt, bicarb and mixed spice. Mix well then tip into your prepared tin. Bake at 180C for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Cover and store, if possible, for a few days before serving.

*Note: I use 25% Teff + 25% Brown Rice + 30% Fine Cornmeal + 20% Cornstarch

No comments:

Post a Comment