Sunday 18 October 2020

I make - Gluten-Free Flour Mix With Cornmeal

I've been experimenting with Phil Vickery's Gluten-Free Flour Mix with cornmeal. The original ratio among different types of flours lends to easy adaptions. There is no grittiness after baking, a typical side effect of cornmeal. The texture is always light and the dough seems well behaved in my hands. I've tried it with pie crust and fruit cake. The mix is nutritionally superior to most commercial mixes and I love the baking results so much that I think it deserves a post.

 

Gluten-Free Flour Mix With Cornmeal

25% Brown rice flour
25% Glutinous rice flour or Teff flour (this is the part you play)
30% Fine cornmeal
20% Cornstarch

The percentages specify the weight of each flour in the final mix.

To make 500 g of the mix, combine together 125 g Brown rice flour, 125 g Glutinous rice flour, 150 g Cornmeal and 100 g Cornstarch. Shake well before using.

I use Glutinous rice when I need lighter colored baking goods such as pie crust. I switch to Teff flour when I am making dark colored cakes (chocolate or fruit cakes).

Here are the nutritional values for the mix with Glutinous rice.


Here is the nutritional info for the mix with Brown Teff Flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment