Monday 4 May 2020

I make - Loaf Tin Cheesecake

It's a revelation to discover cheesecake baked in a rectangular loaf tin. The amount is just right for two people and it's much easier to store in the fridge as it does not take up the whole shelf. Needless to say, I use this opportunity to try various cheesecake recipes. Here are two of my favorites, Mr Cheesecake from Tokyo famous shop and Basque burnt cheesecake which has taken the internet by the storm. Being a scientific nerd, I made a comparison chart. I scaled down the BA's recipe to use the same eggs as Mr. Cheesecake. And here is how they compare:
Ingredient Mr Cheesecake Basque burnt cheesecake
Cream cheese 200 g 300 g
Sugar 100 g 100 g
Eggs 2 2
Sour cream 180 g n/a
Cream 100 g 150 g
Greek yogurt 50 g n/a
Cornstarch 20 g 20 g
White chocolate 50 g n/a
Lemon juice 9 g n/a
Vanilla extract 1 tsp* 1/3 tsp

*my inclusion.

As you can see both recipes are actually quite similar. Basque burnt cheesecake has more cheese per recipe whereas Mr Cheesecake uses more dairy products (both in type and in quantity) other than cream cheese. Both are easy to whip up and great base for adaptation. I do find Mr Cheesecake's recipe a bit too sweet for me, probably because of the white chocolate. My favorite variation is to add raspberries which not just provides color pop but also lends acidity and flavor to the final product. I am still working on the baking temperature and time in order to have the silky smooth texture. So watch this space!

Mr Cheesecake's cheesecake with raspberries

No comments:

Post a Comment