Thursday 26 November 2020

I make - Basque Burnt Cheesecake

Finally it's my turn to try the famous Basque Burnt Cheesecake, apparently the hottest dessert of the year at some point. I've long made a mental note to make it but it's when I saw Nigella posted her version that prompted me to the kitchen. Here is her recipe scaled down to two people.

Basque Burnt Cheesecake

360 g cream cheese (two 180g Philadelphia boxes for me), room temperature
100 g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temperature
16 g (~2 tbsps) cornstarch
200 ml sour cream

Preheat the oven at 200C. Line a 15- or 18-cm round (traditional) or loaf tin (my way) with greaseproof paper.

Beat the cream cheese with sugar, salt and vanilla for 5 minute with an electric beater. Add in one egg, beat until smooth before adding another.

Sift in cornstarch and beat the mixture again. Pour in sour cream and give the mixture a final mix. Pour the batter into the lined tin. Rap the tin on the counter top to rid of the air bubbles. Bake at 200C for 35-45 minutes. The kitchen will smell wonderfully caramelly during this time. The baking time varies because of the tin size and the temperature but here are the visual cues: a burnished cake top and jiggling when the cake is shaken. 

Cool completely before serving. Nigella said this cake does not require overnight chilling. Perfect for an impromptu baker like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment