Friday 6 November 2020

I make - Lazy-Day Orange Cranberry Scones

This has slowly become my favorite method of quick scones. Different from last time, I brushed the top with egg yolk for more color and changed to orange and cranberry combo. Buttery with a warming orange scent, reminds me of our trip to Seville, one of my favorite cities.


Lazy-Day Orange Cranberry Scones


Zest from one orange
1/2 cup dried cranberries, soaked in juice from the zested orange
280 g/2 cups gluten-free flour (your favorite blend)*
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (if your blend does not have it)
1 tbsp baking powder
a scant 1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsps icing sugar
1.5 cup whipping cream (35% fat minimum)
One beaten egg yolk to brush the top
extra flour to mould the scones

Preheat the oven at 200C. Line a rectangular baking pan. Soak the cranberries with the zest and the orange juice. Overnight is better or at least a few hours.

Combine flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Pour in whipping cream. Stir a few times to hydrate the flour. Drain the cranberries and keep the liquid. Add the drained cranberries to the dough and fold them in until no liquid is seen. The dough is sticky and thick. A rubber spatula and a flexible scraper are helpful. If the dough seems a bit dry, add some soaking liquid in.

Use an ice cream scoop to portion out the scones onto a baking pan. Don't press the dough too tightly in the scoop. Once the scone is "dropped" onto the baking pan, use floured hands/fingers to pat it to a traditional scone shape. Repeat the process until you use up all the dough. I get 11 scones out of this. 

Paper cup option: if you don't want your scones to spread too much (not a problem for me), put them in paper cup cases. 

Brush each scone top with egg yolk and bake for 18-20 minutes. Turn the baking pan half way through. When the scones are out of oven, brush more butter on top. Let cool for 20 minutes and enjoy!

*My blend is: 40% Sorghum + 30% Sweet Rice + 30% Potato Starch. It turned out that I don't like this particular blend. This blend bakes out gooey and not crisp for me. Very odd. I will switch to my usual blend next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment