Wednesday 18 November 2020

I make - Biscoff Inspired Shortbreads

Learning from my first attempt, here is my second and revised recipe for biscoff biscuits. Although my first recipe gave me great tasting biscuits, I found the sugar crystals a bit too big for me (in a cookie). So this time I decided to blend the sugar a bit before adding to the dough. Also, as I learned later, over beating the butter is a cause for cookie spread. This time I don't use a mixer any more. Just simple fingers seem enough for this. And I shaped the dough into a log and cut to slices before baking. Works magic. No more one-piece one-pan cookie.


Biscoff Inspired Shortbread Biscuits

80-100 g toasted sugar (to taste), blended to resemble rough icing sugar
150 g gluten-free flour (your favorite blend)*
25 g Teff flour (or gluten-free flour blend
25 g Oat flour (or gluten-free flour blend)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
a scant 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsps ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp baking soda
120 g cold butter, in cubes
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp vodka or cold water

Combine all dry ingredients (sugar, flours, xanthan gum, salt, spices and baking soda) in a bowl. Mix to combine. Rub the butter cubes into the flour mixture. Work hard to smear the butter between fingers coated with plenty of flour. Because this is biscuits, we don't want "flaky" here but with butter evenly blended in. I work with a rubber gloved hand. It may take 5-10 minutes.

When you can clump the flour crumbs together, add in vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of vodka (or water). Bring the crumbs together to form a dough. You may need another tablespoon of liquid. 

Shape the dough into a log (for round cookies) or a slab (for rectangular cookies). Wrap it in cling film and chill in the fridge for 2 hours. 

Preheat the oven at 180C. Line a large baking tray.

Remove the dough from the fridge and cut into 5mm slices. The cookies will expand half of its size during baking so keep that in mind when slicing and arranging them on the tray.

Bake the biscuits at 180C for 15 minutes. Rotate the tray half way. Chill them on the wire rack until they are completely cool.

I like to double bake my shortbread type of cookies to be ultra crispy. After first round of baking, I bake them again at 120C for 10 minutes before cooling them down. This is optional.

*My blend is: 25% Sorghum + 25% Brown Rice + 30% Cornmeal + 20% Cornstarch

No comments:

Post a Comment