Saturday 5 September 2020

2020 weekly - week 36 (24th week of confinement)

30/08/2020, Sunday

My physio morning and afternoon routines for the coming week.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Autumn suddenly arrived this week. Cold, grey and rain. Hubby said it's perfect timing for tomates farcies. Cooking rice at the base of the stuffed tomatoes together in a pot is the traditional way but my rice always turns out mushy in the end. The rice has good flavor, no doubt, since it's able to soak up all the juices from tomatoes and the stuffing. The texture, is a whole different matter. Perhaps it's not surprising as the time required to cook stuffed tomatoes is much longer than that for the rice. 

This time I used Arborio rice for my tomates farcies. Being much bigger grain than my usual Basmati rice, I was thinking it would keep its texture better during cooking. And I was right! Arborio rice cooked with stuffed tomatoes uncovered in the oven for 50 minutes did not give me mushy texture. The rice came out just cooked through with a little bit bite. I stirred the rice half way through the cooking to submerge the top layer of rice to the bottom to help even cooking. I am very pleased with the Arborio version of tomates farcies.



31/08/2020, Monday

Last bank holiday before Xmas. I planted three gorgeous cyclamens along with some hyacinths in the pots. My first gardening since the ankle surgery. I was able to squat down, stay down and come up when I wanted. Quite an achievement itself. It's painful to think back the first three months when I couldn't move. It's sheer will that got me here today. No more surgery please.

My second dinner out as a coeliac went much better than my first one. I didn't realize until I saw the menu that Côte is accredited by Coeliac UK. That explained the professionalism and attention to gluten-free dining. From beginning to the end, I felt very reassured dining there. I don't need to spend 20 minutes explaining and asking all kinds of awkward questions regarding my dietary requirement and still be confident that I will be well treated. Such a lovely experience. Thank you, Côte, I will be back soon!

01/09/2020, Tuesday

Total running distance: 5200 meters
Longest non-stopping distance: 3600 meters

I really need to look up some exercises to strengthen my left leg/knee. It keeps playing up after 9 laps of running!

04/09/2020, Friday

Total running distance: 4000 meters
Longest non-stopping distance: 1600x2 meters

I started to do some strengthening and stretching exercises for my lateral knee pain issue. It's only a couple of days so far so I don't know whether it will work or not. Just to be on the safe side, I also change the way I run. Instead of going the whole log, I now break it into two segments to let my knee recover.

Something has to be good once you are over 40?  

No comments:

Post a Comment