Wednesday 16 September 2020

I make - Greek Yogurt Banana Oat Bread

Being a big fan of Fage 0% Greek Yogurt, I mostly make smoothies or use in savory dishes, apart from eating straight out of the pot. I do bake with yogurt, but with the plain regular one. Recently I just discovered a whole new baking world with Greek Yogurt. This is quite fabulous. Not only does Greek Yogurt give a protein boost to the gluten-free cakes, but also it reduces the need of fat, sometimes eschewing entirely.

I've tried Greek Yogurt Brownies. There are several versions I wanted to try. The one with not much flour was the first one I tried and it tasted surprisingly good. A bit more like cheesecake texture but nonetheless enjoyable. The next version on my agenda uses more flour. I can imagine the texture should be more brownie like. 

I also made Oat and Honey Quick Bread. By the way, I recently discovered that quick bread is a better option for me than gluten-free yeasted bread as breakfast or a quick meal. It's quicker, chewier and tastes like the gluten-ful version. Gluten-free yeasted bread, however well made, always leaves me feel synthetic.

Today I made my beloved banana bread with Greek Yogurt. I was doubtful and intrigued when I saw the recipe with Greek Yogurt and No Added Fat. My experience with Oil/Butter Free cakes is usually gummy and dense. Well, let me tell you that this recipe changed my view and my world. It tastes just like normal banana bread when freshly out of the oven and toasts great the day after. Wonderful.

Don't get me wrong. There will be places for butter and oil in my baking (and cooking in fact). Let's say I am saving my butter quota with some Greek Yogurt Baked Goods.

Greek Yogurt Banana Oat Bread

- 1 cup gluten-free flour (your favorite blend)
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- a scant 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 flax egg* (1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsps water)
- 2 bananas, pureed (200 g or 1 cupful)
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt (10% protein, 0% fat works fine)
- 2 tbsps Truvia sweetener

Preheat the oven at 180C. Grease and line a loaf tin.

Mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, mixed spice and salt in a bowl.

In another bowl beat the eggs and flax egg until frothy. Mix in bananas, yogurt and Truvia. Pour the wet ingredients in to the flour bowl. Stir to combine.

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin. Bake at 180C for 35-40 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test. 

*About flax egg: the original recipe uses 6 Tbsp (90 ml) maple syrup. My bananas are usually quite sweet by the time I use them. So I replaced the syrup with 1 flax egg to give the extra moisture minus the sugar. It works well. You can always use the specified maple syrup instead and skip the Truvia.

No comments:

Post a Comment