Sunday 6 June 2021

I make - Baked Salami and Cheese Square

A lazy version of quiche, I guess. Easy and perfect for summer dinner.


Baked Salami and Cheese Square

250 g Salami, cubed
250 g cheese, cubed (I used cheddar and gouda)
1 onion, sliced
1 courgette, in strips
4 eggs
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup gluten-free flour (your favorite blend*)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder

To decorate the top (optional)
Grated cheese or Cherry tomatoes, halved

Preheat the oven to 180C. Get ready a 20x30-cm pan and grease generously (or paper line like I did).

Pan fry (without any oil) salami cubes to degrease the salami. If your salami is lean or prefer not to, skip this step. Drain the salami cubes on some paper towels and set aside.

Pour away all salami oil except 2 tablespoons to fry the onion and courgette. Once they are softened and lightly golden, turn the heat off.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, black pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Stir in salami, cheese, onion and courgette. 

Spread the batter evenly into the pan and top with grated cheese or tomato halves. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Serve with your favorite vegetables on the side.

*My blend is: 40% White Rice + 30% White Teff + 15% Sweet Rice + 15% Tapioca

3 comments:

  1. how is your experience using tapioca or sticky rice flour? do they create a bit of stickiness so the dough is a bit easier to bind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on what type of dish you are making and the texture you want. For this dish, 100% tapioca/cornstarch or sticky rice would probably work (only 1/2 cup here), perhaps with a tad "chewy" texture. I make my own blend because it's fun and also for better nutrition.

      To my surprise, sticky rice (as part of a blend) works surprisingly well in baking. It makes very light pastry.

      Delete
  2. Indeed, I had my accidental* success making a lemon pound cake for my friend (prob 60:40 rice: sticky rice flour). The cake was raised by egg white and the overall texture is quite good (no crumbles). I am guessing it's a combination of the sticky rice flour and egg as raising agent. the cake body was indeed a bit fluffier in comparison to the same recipe using wheat flour.
    *I didn't find tapioca flour in the regular supermarket here but got some sticky rice flour at hand.

    ReplyDelete