Sunday 29 March 2020

I make - Gluten-free apple breakfast cake

Since being diagnosed with coeliac a week ago, I've been wondering what I can eat for breakfast. Yes, I like my granola and oatmeal but I also like variety. What cake can I bake for breakfast. Just to say that at the moment I intend to do my gluten-free baking with as little gluten-free flour mix as possible. Not only is it expensive,  but also it just feels too refined for me. Yes, I understand it's no different from conventional plain flour from wheat. Perhaps I just need to get over the mental barrier first. For now, I am sticking with oat flour and ground almond.

Anyhow, I learned a few things on gluten-free baking after reading a good number of blog posts. Since there is no longer gluten in the mix, bumping up the protein content in the batter helps rebuild the structure of the baked goods. Things like protein powder and eggs can improve the texture of the final baked goods. This is something I could not have thought about. Also, making sure that you aerate the eggs sufficiently is another way to give the final product a lift. I've incorporated both tips into the apple breakfast cake below. This is the first gluten-free baking that I am really happy with.


Gluten-free apple breakfast cake

4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
zest from 1 lemon
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup oat flour (gluten-free)
1/4 cup coconut flour (or use oat flour instead)
1/4 cup (vegan) protein powder
1 cup ground almond
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 big apple, grated
1/2 cup of mixed nuts/seeds to stir in
1/4 cup of mixed nuts/seeds to scatter on the top

Preheat the oven at 180C. Grease and line a baking tin (I use 25-cm round cake tin).

Beat eggs and sugar in a warm water bath for 7 minutes. Drizzle in melted butter and beat for another minute. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract.

Stir in oat flour, coconut flour and protein powder. Beat for 30 seconds and add in ground almond, mixed spice, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Switch to a rubber spatula and stir in the grated apple and 1/2 cup of mixed seeds. Make sure everything is evenly distributed in the batter before pouring into the prepared baking tin. Scatter 1/4 cup of mixed nuts/seeds on top and bake for 30-35 minutes. Start doing the toothpick test at 28 minutes.

Remove the cake from the oven when the toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake for 20 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment