Wednesday 16 May 2012

I make - Basque chicken

I love one-pot dinner. Although I enjoy cooking, like any working person, at the end of a day I just want something warm, tasty and quick. A dish that has both meat and veggie components and does not require me thinking too much fits the bill. Basque chicken is one example. Visually appealing and with all my favorite chicken combo ingredients, chorizo and paprika, it's one of my favorite dishes.


Basque chicken

- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 sweet bell peppers, mixed color, in thin slices
- 100 g chorizo, skinned and cut into large dices
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tin of crushed tomato (~400g)
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 chicken pieces, thigh or drumsticks*
- salt and pepper to taste

Lightly season the chicken with paprika, salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Brown the chicken in a pan of hot olive oil. Remove the chicken from the pan while you cook the vegetables.

In the same pan, fry the onions and peppers with the thyme and bay leaves for 3 minutes or more, until onions are translucent. Add the chorizo cubes and garlic and fry for 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes and chicken drum sticks. Bring the pan back to boil, stirring regularly. Cook the mixture for 10 minutes, lid on, until vegetables and chicken are tender. Season with salt and pepper.

Great with steamed rice.

*I sometimes use rotisserie chicken pieces found in my local supermarket and skip the browning stage. Just throw them in with the tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment