Sunday 6 May 2012

I bake - Raspberry clafoutis

I discovered Clafoutis with my mother-in-law. A typical dessert from French central region, Limousin, is traditionally made with cherries, baked in a custard-like batter. Personally I fall for anything with custard. Not surprisingly, I took in clafoutis with all my heart.

Funny enough, in her own family, she is the only one who like clafoutis. None of the family members, including my hubby, shares her adoration for clafoutis. When she knows that I also like it, I can see that she is happy to have someone sharing her cherry clafoutis. And I understand the need and the joy to share something you like. On top of that, I really like it.

This is my version, with raspberries and not so much flour. The end result is light, fruity, vanilla-y, delicate and sweet, like a dessert should be. This is to maman, who is also from Limousin, has a heart as tender as Clafoutis.



Raspberry clafoutis

- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup caster sugar, plus additional to coat the baking dish
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tbsps double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsps all-purpose flour (or cornstarch)
- 200 g raspberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat the oven to 200C. Butter a 20x20cm round or square dish. Dust caster sugar all around the bottom and the sides. Leave it aside while you prepare the light batter.

In a bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until sugar is fully dissolved. Add in milk, cream and vanilla extract.  Whisk all together gently to mix all liquids together. Sift in the flour into the bowl of egg and milk mixture. Stir to combine. Make sure no flour lump is present in the end.

Cover the bottom of the buttered dish with raspberries. If you use frozen raspberries, there is no need to defrost them. Arrange them like the fresh ones. Pour the batter into the baking dish.

Bake at 200C for 40 minutes. Take it out of the oven when clafoutis puffs up on the edges. Best served lukewarm or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment