Wednesday 28 December 2011

I cook - Day-After Soup

You know how it is. Every time after a dinner party is over, invariably there are always awkward number of morsels left, like one and half boiled potatoes, five carrot coins, three half moon roasted onions, you get the idea. I sometimes pack them in my lunch box but I just discovered a much better way to use it. Oh my, I think I have stumbled over something wonderful here. I don't know whether it's the Harissa (different from the original recipe) or the roasted ingredients I used which makes this brown looking soup taste so divine. It makes me want to make roast more often, just for the day-after soup.

Very Tasty Day-After Soup

- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 cups vegetable/chicken stock
- 2 tbsps Harissa paste
- salt and pepper to taste
--the ingredients below vary depend on what you have left from the roast--
- 6 mushrooms, halved
- 2 cooked potatoes
- 6 brussels sprouts
- 2 roasted shallots
- 1/2 cup roasted pork, shredded

In a soup pot, fry the onion in olive oil for 5 minutes. Stir in Harissa paste and mushroom. Keep stirring until the fragrance of Harissa comes out. Add in the rest of the ingredients, including the stock. Although the ingredients will vary depending on the occasions, I would say that the only essential ingredient is potato to thicken the soup.

Bring the pot to boil and turn the heat to low. Simmer the soup for at least 30 minutes, up to 1 hour. Before serving, use a stick blender to purée the soup. Remove the meat chunks out first, if using, before blitzing. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper.

Serve plain or with lemon juice or yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment