Saturday 12 November 2011

A meal shared with strangers

"Some people write stories, others tell jokes, I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. A meal shared with strangers. And I can't think of anything I want to do more."- Nigel Slater

I just have to share with you my favorite food writer, Nigel Slater, who makes cooking simple, fun, experimental, thought provoking, deliciously comforting, fitting to the mood and agreeable to the season. His writing and his presentation style are like his cooking, not intimidating and clear without being bogged down by details. I guess that with something that good, the only you need may just be plain white plate.

I just finished his recent TV series, Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking. He demonstrates how we can approach cooking by thinking about flavor or tasting sensation combination. Some combinations are well known, some giving me this "Eureka" moment and some are more adventurous. I just like every minute of it. It feels like someone has taken me to the cooking wonder land and showed me around. Below are the eight flavor combinations he illustrated, each with 5 or 6 recipes.



I hope you enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment