Wednesday 2 November 2011

I bake - My favorite apple cake

How do you celebrate Autumn? For me, I slow roast my meat and stew my fruit on stove. If you visit me during October or November time, most likely I would serve you with hearty tender roast and/or with warm stew fruit generously lathering on top of Greek yoghurt or Mascarpone cheese.

And what could be a better signature fruit than apple when it comes to Autumn? As I mentioned before how much I love apples in general, I certainly like them in my cakes too. I have tried a range of apple cake recipes. They mostly come in two types, one with half-moon shape apple slices and the other with shredded apples. I prefer the shredded version. I like the fact that the shredded apples completely disappear from the cake after baking. When I bite into my cake, I taste its tender crumb and not the two contrasting soft and crunchy texture.  It's a personal thing. But then again, isn't that what life is about, finding things which please you?

My favorite apple cake

- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- 2/3 cups of ground almond
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice (or just ground cinnamon)
- 2 apples, peeled and grated (roughly 1 1/2 loosely packed cup), mixed with some lemon juice

Beat the eggs with caster sugar, salt and vanilla until the mixture becomes like thick ribbons. Slowly add in oil in a single stream with the mixer running. Beat in ground almond and mix until no lump visible. Mix in the grated apples.

In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice. Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Fold the mixture gently until no more white flour pockets visible. Pour into a paper-lined cake tin.

Bake the mixture at 200C oven for 50 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.

No comments:

Post a Comment