Saturday 29 February 2020

2020 weekly - week 9

23/02/2020, Sunday

Feeling blessed after talking to my friend M. Can you imagine that someone who has known me so long is still talking to me? The ratio is preciously low, I tell you. Sincerely wishing you a future of your dream, M.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meals planned this week:

Homemade Quiche Lorraine
Pasta carbonara frittata

25/02/2020, Tuesday

Thirteen weeks after the surgery, my third physio session. Suffice to say that my therapist was very pleased with my improvement, even impressed. I did work quite hard during the past month with the exercises. I am also glad it seems to pay off. He showed me another 6 exercises today which are more dynamic than previous ones. It also requires more strength. He said that I am not ready for fitness classes yet but in a month with the additional exercises I may be able to go back.

Before we parted, he also said that he could discharge me based on how I am now. Feeling a bit unsure, I asked for a follow-up appointment in a month or two. He agreed. Looks like I will be soon back to business as usual.

26/02/2020, Wednesday

I've been anticipating this since last week. After seeing my physiotherapist, I know it's unavoidable. I am going back to work full time next week.

Yes, it's good news that I am feeling well enough physically and mentally to go back. I am also feeling a bit sad to see the end of it. These three months mostly on my own, at home in isolation, have given me quite a mixed bag of experiences. First, if you are able and capable, staying at home in almost isolation is not something I would do voluntarily. It's alienating and dispiriting. As much as I enjoy being an introvert, human contact is necessary. However, these three months turned out to be a self discovery as well. When life throws you a curved ball, what do you do? I faced straight on. The first two months were most difficult. Many things needed to be re-adjusted as the usual way no longer worked. I had to devise a new routine for every task of a daily life, using the bathroom, cleaning myself and getting around the house (not very much). I slept terribly during the first two months. Waking up 4 times in a night was pretty normal. Everything took at least twice as long as before. It was a bit depressing but I didn't let it get me. I was not mentally bored though. I read and I studied French diligently during the time. I was quite proud of myself.

Things became better when I was allowed to be partial weight bearing. Then working on my injured leg became my full obsession. First with two crutches and an air walking boot, then no boot with crutches, and then one crutch with normal shoes. I don't know what went through my mind at the time, probably nothing but sheer determination to get back on my feet. I persisted, did the exercises diligently and more than what's asked of. And here I am today, no longer limping, impressing my therapist by my walk.

Although my full range of motion is not back yet, going down stairs is not smooth, for instance. Jumping is nearly impossible, as I discovered yesterday with the newly prescribed exercises. But I will get there in the end.

I feel that I got to know myself a little bit more. I realized that I am someone who can put my mind onto something and keep at it. I noticed that I can be quite happy with books and some learning material. Being patient is even more essential here. Sometimes I wondered whether these exercises would make any difference at all. But I bear witness now to say that it does. For most exercises, I see myself improve on a weekly basis . For a few others, it took two weeks to show the improvement and I felt elated. I know my body has rewarded me with my hard work to become more able and content. Life becomes exciting again because I can once more plan for the future.

1 comment:

  1. Friendship fades away, sometimes without reasons, like other types of relationships. It's just a reality of life. So I am grateful of still talking to you :-)

    ReplyDelete