Sunday 27 December 2015

2015 Boxing Day

I know Boxing day should be the day of leftover but I have this nice piece of venison rack which has been beckoning to me. And yes Keevil and Keevil does not disappoint me. This 4-rack of venison I ordered is the most tender and flavorful of venison I've ever tasted.

Grilled venison with red wine jus

Roasted bell peppers, artichokes and green beans

Seville Christmas sweets


Not sure how to handle a rack of venison, I decided to treat it like a thick slice of steak. My venison rack is just over an inch thick. First, I seared the venison surface all over and roasted it in a 140C-fan oven for 20 minutes on a bed of golden onion wedges. Rest for 10 minutes (with the meat covered by foil) before slicing. Perfect.

To make the pan jus, I reduced half cup of red wine to 1/4 cup in the same pot which I seared the venison. Then I added 1/2 cup of stock, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and cooked for another 10 minutes. Add a splash of Balsamic vinegar. Taste to see whether you need to smooth the taste with some sugar (as I did). The acidity from Balsamic vinegar and the red wine provides a nice balance to the rich venison meat.

1 comment: