Saturday 5 April 2014

I make - chimichurri

It has taken me a long time to like parsley. I had always found parsley smelling grassy and couldn't understand why so many chefs finish their plates "with chopped parsley ". I would have easily gone for coriander any time.

It all changed when i was introduced chimichurri.

Once in an Argentine steak house, I ordered a sauce to go with my steak. Bearnaise is usually my preferred choice but to go along with the south American theme, i heard myself say chimichurri. When it came sitting unglamorously in a dipping dish, i thought i'd wasted my money. "At least let's have a taste", I said to myself. After taking a bite of chimichurri dipped sirloin, my eyes opened up. I didn't realize parsley can taste so refreshing. Wonderful with grilled meat. I also found out later that chimichurri goes well with seafood. I even stir into my paella just before serving. It is a versatile sauce.

Since then, I've become friends with parsley.

My chimichurri uses equal amounts of oil and vinegar. Sometimes i substitute lemon/lime juice for vinegar. I also add a pinch of sugar to round the sauce up. There are many recipes on the web and mine is based on this.

Chimichurri sauce

Two big handful of parsley, leaves and stalks enough for a half cup after chopping)
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
Pinch of dried chili pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of vinegar
Pinch of sugar
Salt to taste

Chop parsley and garlic finely. Combine everything in a bowl or a glass jar. Stir well. Taste and season with salt if needed.

Alternatively you could make it with a food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment