Sunday 6 April 2014

I make - All-in-one pasta

As much as I like to cook from scratch, there is something to say about the all-in-one method of cooking pasta. Less pots to clean, less water required and possibly less time (if you are an efficient cook). To be fair, this so called "all-in-one" method is no different from the method for paella or fideua which I both love and cook numerous times. But, it's always good to think outside of the paella box.

I made my first all-in-one pasta last night. Judging from my most fierce food critic's feedback, I think it's a good one. My recipe is inspired by these two recipes but I already deconstructed it further in my head (professional habit dies hard!) for future exciting experimentation.

Last thing, you may have noticed that my posts are pictureless these days. I can't find my battery charger since house moving and I don't want to buy yet another one. Sorry folks. May I kindly ask you to exercise your best imagination skill before my charger decides to turn up?

All-in-one pasta
Generous portions for two; starter size for four

Pasta base
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- a handful of cherry tomatoes (or increase the amount of tomato sauce)
- 200-250 g linguine, broken in thirds
- 2 to 3 cups of hot water (or stock)
- 2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce (or canned tomato)
- fresh or dried basil
- half cup of rindless brie cubes (or other cheese which melts well)

Protein option
For seafood, shrimp, mussels, white fish or a mixture.
For meat, grilled sausage chunks, pancetta/bacon strips, chicken thigh
For plant eaters, how about some roasted veggies?

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan, saute onion until translucent. Add in garlic for a few minutes. Then throw in cherry tomatoes (if using). Cook the mixture until cherry tomatoes are about to burst. Add in broken linguine and hot water. Make sure that all pasta submerge under the water and the water level is no more than 1cm above pasta.

Bring the pot to a lively boil and turn the heat to medium. You may want to stir the mixture a few times to separate pasta strands in the beginning (if you are a cooking geek like me, you will love this experiment). Cook for 5 minutes, uncovered.

Preheat oven to 160C.

Add in your favorite tomato sauce along with basil. I used mushroom and pepper sauce last night. Cook for another 5 minutes. If the mixture seems dry, add more water (1/2 cup each time). Taste and season with salt and pepper. You probably want to be light with the salt considering the cheese afterwards. Stir in brie cubes. This is your pasta base. If you want this to be a vegetarian dish, you can stop here after adding any other vegetables your heart desire. If you are an omnivore like me, proceed to the next step.

Now it's time for your preferred protein option. I stirred in a pack of mussels cooked in garlic and white wine sauce last night and topped the pasta with two slices of white fish dusted with salt and pepper. Bake it in the oven for 20 minutes or until fish is cooked.

Sprinkle Parmesan before eating, optional, but why wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment