Sunday 17 March 2013

I make - rhubarb and raspberry pudding

I love rhubarb. I admit that at first I was mostly attracted by its pretty pink appearance. Then I discovered how good and fine it tasted. It was love at the first sight and kiss.

Now you can get rhubarb year round, the pretty pink forced rhubarb between December and March and the field grown light green ones for the rest of the year.  My mother-in-law makes the best rhubarb tart in the world. It is a fine way to enjoy rhubarb. I am just not skilled with anything which requires dexterity. Therefore, I often opt for a simpler way to enjoy rhubarb, in pudding. I like to throw in a handful of raspberries in my rhubarb pudding. The addition of raspberries is not only a good match with rhubarb in taste, but also brightens up the color in the end. You could replace it with strawberries or ignore completely.

Rhubarb and raspberry pudding

- a bag of trimmed rhubarb, 400g
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup of water
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh raspberries (or strawberries), optional
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract or rosewater (optional)
- 2 tsp corn starch mixed in 2 tbsp cold water
- whipped cream to serve

Put rhubarb, water, sugar and raspberries in a pot. Bring the pot to boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste to adjust the sugar.

If using vanilla or rosewater, add into the pot along with the corn starch slurry. Bring the pot back to boil. Let it boil for one minute. Turn off the heat, pour the pudding to a bowl. Let it cool.

Serve with a dollop of cream on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment