Sunday 5 June 2011

Michael Smith You Rock!

I have followed some of the Great British Menu this year. One chef who caught my eyes (and not just with his food) is Michael Smith, the finalist for Scotland. His cooking style is uncomplicated and elegant. He is the only chef who managed to put three courses into the top 3 of each category (there are four courses/categories in total). As fate would have it, when the judges came to assemble different top 3 dishes for a coherent menu. None of his was picked. Sigh...

Well, that does not dampen my enthusiasm for trying his dishes. I was determined to try his dry rub designed for his very convivial looking and surely mouth watering Barbecued Lamb main course. Rosemary and lamb is a common combination but he added crushed fennel seeds to the lamb. When I was preparing the dry rub, I can only think of one word, elegant. It's as if the fennel seeds broadens the dimension of rosemary, away from the greenness and more on the woodiness and sweetness, perfect with lamb. The taste is earthly elegant, understated fineness, and undeniably scrumptious. Oh I adore it.

Needless to say, this dry rub has a permanent stay in my recipe box! Thank you Chef Michael!

Fennel and rosemary dry rub for lamb

- 400 g lamb rump
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp rosemary, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes

Mix all ingredients in a container. Let it sit in the fridge for at least one hour (overnight is fine). Grill lamb until the centre is pink.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment