Sunday 20 August 2017

I make - Yorkshire pudding

Being in the country of Yorkshire pudding for 16 years, the number of times I eat Yorkshire pudding can be counted in one hand. Still quite perplexed with all the fuss around Yorkshire pudding but I get the fact that it's a British (family/culinary) tradition. So everyone gets a say and has a particular way of doing it. And in order to proclaim convincingly that I've been in the land of YP long enough, today is my first go at YP.

I used and halved the recipe by Barney Desmazery. Well, my first go at the recipe led to YP of various shapes and sizes. The baked product is light, crisp on the outside and tender inside. Luckily the look bears no resemblance of the taste. I wished the recipe could have been clearer about the amount of oil required in the muffin tin. It turned out that during baking YP doesn't really absorb much oil (a good thing). However, the YP batter does push the oil out of the muffin oil during baking (which led to our lovely smoke alarm going off during Sunday morning and the next hour me scrubbing the oven!). Granted, I covered the bottom of muffin tin with oil to avoid sticking and this proved too much for YP. It seems that next time no more than 1/4 tsp oil for each muffin hole.


(Next time will be better) Yorkshire pudding

- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (70g) of plain flour
- 100 ml cold milk
- pinch of salt
- oil for cooking

Thoroughly mix eggs, flour, milk and salt in a jug. Rest the batter in the fridge for a few hours.

Preheat the oven at 210C. Put 1/4 tsp of oil in each of the muffin holes. Place the muffin tin on a baking tray and heat the oil for at least 10 minutes.

Remove the tray from the oven, pour the chilled batter into the muffin holes as quickly as you can. I managed to fill 9 of the 12 holes with the written recipe. Put the tray and muffin tin back to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, with oven door firmly shut. Serve immediately or freeze for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment