Wednesday 29 April 2015

To PB

I visited my colleague in the hospital today. He had a stroke 10 days ago and he is 46. Forty-six(!), it's the age for mid-life crisis, a red sports car, Caribbean cruise or all kinds of crazy things! Rarely do you hear the word "stroke" being mentioned for a forty-something but it did and could happen. And it shocked many of us who know him, especially he's been known to be a fit person who exercises regularly and eats a very healthy diet.

Yes, you can do all the right things and still get struck by sh*t. That's just life and its capricious nature (or cruelty). As a mere mortal, I can only do what I could to stay healthy and hoping that I would have the strength and will to recover, should any unfortunate thing happens. I am also acutely reminded to enjoy the life while you can and let the loved ones know that you care. Every little thing matters in the end. A small pot of flowers you planted, a smile you give to a stranger, a kiss to your lover or a kind word to your mother. A little more "want to" and less "have to".

The good news is my colleague is responding well to the treatment and physiotherapy. His movement is almost smooth today despite a bit slow and the speech being a bit slurred. More importantly, he's talkative and in good spirits. It's only early days of rehabilitation and I have no doubt that he's on his way of steady recovery.

Best wishes to you, PB. Be courageous and humorous, as you always have been. I look forward to seeing you back and work together again.

2 comments:

  1. so vulnerable life is... live healthy and happy!

    ReplyDelete