Monday 21 March 2011

I bake - Banana bread with walnuts and chocolate ginger pieces

For unknown reasons, I can't associate banana with fruit. Fruit, for me, has to come with juice that flows freely when you bite into. Preconceived ideas, I know. Perhaps that's why I prefer banana's creamy fragrance to its texture. I rarely pick up a banana and eat but love everything made with it, in any form of dessert. Pudding, cream pie, banoffee pie, ice cream, milk shake, smoothie or any bakery item, you name it and I love it all. On the contrary, Hubby looks in horror when I make anything with banana. For him, banana has to be eaten plainly and straightly. Alas, I guess that's why they say Opposites Attract.

Here is one of my favorite banana bread recipes, adapted from this recipe.

Banana bread with walnuts and chocolate ginger pieces

- 500 g banana puree (roughly from 5 medium-sized bananas)
- 100 g butter, softened
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 250 g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice (e.g. cinnamon, nutmeg).
- walnut pieces
- chocolate ginger pieces, roughly chopped

Make banana puree from very ripe bananas. I prefer using a hand-held stick blender to create a very smooth texture. It is also possible to squash banana in a flat bowl with a fork to make a rather chunky puree. It's up to you.

In another bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract together until the butter is aerated and sugar is fully incorporated. Add in eggs. Start with one, mix well and add another.

Sift the flour and baking powder and add into the butter mixture. Pour in the banana puree. Mix everything with a rubber spatula. Fold the batter gently but thoroughly. Mix in the chocolate ginger pieces (if using). Pour into a cake tin. Smooth the top of the batter and decorate with walnut pieces.

Bake it in the oven of 200C for 60-65 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment