Saturday, 3 October 2026

I make - Gluten Free Mooncakes with Jujube and Walnut Filling

Yes, I did it. Happy Mid-Autumn!

Gluten Free Mooncakes with Jujube and Walnut Filling 

Jujube and Walnut Filling

Cook Jujube (pitted) and dates (pitted) with 1/4 cup of water until they become paste. Use a stick blender to make the paste smooth. There is no need to remove the jujube skin. I don't add extra sugar because of the dates. Add in butter and toasted glutenous rice flour to turn the paste into a playdough like texture. Cool/chill the filling completely.

Right before making the mooncakes, add in chopped toasted walnuts. Stir to combine and set it aside while you prepare the pastry.

Mooncake pastry

200 g gluten free flour + extra (1-3 tbsp) to form a dough

50 g powdered sugar

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

20 g grated cheddar/parmesan cheese

20 g milk powder (~ 3tbsps)

1/4 tsp baking soda (not sure it makes a difference)

80 g butter, cubed

1 egg, beaten

a big squeeze of honey

Egg wash to brush

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Rub in butter cubes with gloved hands. You are looking for fine sandy texture before stopping. Switch to a rubber spatula and stir in beaten egg and a big squeeze of honey. Stir everything to combine. If the dough is too wet, add 1 tbsp of flour at a time. For me, I need to add roughly 3 tbsps of flour. When you achieve a playdoh like texture, wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 30-60 minutes.

If you want a traditional mooncake look, you will need a mooncake press. If not, a round or a square shape would work too. I use 30 g dough and 20 g filling to make a mooncake, which fits my mooncake press too. Please scale the mooncake up or down depending on your preference or press size.

Brush the top of mooncake with egg wash before baking them at 160C. After 10 minutes, rotate the tray and bake for another 10-15 minutes (so the total baking time is 20-25 minutes) before removing them from the oven. Cool them completely on a wired rack before serving. I find the filling is less likely to burst out of the crust when baking at 160C.

No comments:

Post a Comment