Saturday 4 September 2021

I make - Condensed Milk Brownies I

There is an interesting video about the reason behind the irresistible brownie paper-thin crust. The author's condensed milk brownies follows the same logic and I am intrigued! First of all, I love condensed milk. Secondly, chewy and paper-thin shiny crust? I am sold.


Condensed Milk Brownies I, adapted from Adam Ragusea
100 g butter
60g cocoa powder
1 can (396g) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp instant coffee granules dissolved in 1 tsp hot water
1 cup (120g) powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
80g all-purpose gluten-free flour (I use Asda own brand)
2 big dollops of nutella (My addition)
Walnuts (optional, my addition)

Get your oven heating to 325ºF, 160ºC. This batter is very sticky, so I suggest lining your pan with a parchment sling. I use a 10x20cm pan. A 20x20 cm square tin will also do.

Put the butter in a mid-sized pot and heat over medium until it melts and the water boils out. Stir the butter as it starts to brown, to keep the milk solids from sticking to the bottom. When the butter is just browning and smelling like caramel, whisk in the cocoa powder. Let the cocoa boil for a minute then take the pot off the heat.

Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk and coffee. Whisk in the salt, vanilla and nutella. Whisk in the flour.

Get the batter in the pan — don't worry if it's not in an even layer. Bake 25-30 min, until a toothpick to the center comes out clean, or not-quite-clean if you prefer fudgy brownies. Let cool thoroughly before cutting.

Tasting note: Yes, it's fudgy, chewy and chocolaty. I baked to the stage where a toothpick to the center came out clean. Initially worried but the brownies remains chewy and fudgy, not dry at all. Hubby already said it's my best. It reminds me more of fudge but the taste is good. I have a couple of more recipes to explore. Let's see.

No comments:

Post a Comment