Tuesday 21 August 2012

British summer, London Olympic and Confiture d'Abricot

British summer is a funny thing. It can be sunny all right but when you step into the open, you realize that you've been fooled. The temperature simply does not meet its sunny expectation. That's when it chooses to show up at all. It seems to always arrive when least expected. Popping up one day, with heat lasting for as long (or short) as it pleases and vanishes the next day without a sign. This year it came rather late, coinciding with the Olympics. I would love to say that the London Olympic organization committee even had that covered but hey who doesn't like some lucky coincidence?

I have the same feeling about apricots. It's a photogenic fruit and let's just leave it like that. I can't tell you how many times I have been disappointed by its bland and acidic taste hidden underneath its reassuringly sun-kissed skin. However, this year I had my first wow moment with apricots. About one week before the Olympic due to start, I spotted some plump and delightfully looking apricots in my local farmers' market. I hesitated, wondering whether I wanted to be fooled again. I bought just under 500 grams of it, thinking that the amount would ease my disappointment quicker. When I bit into my first apricot of the year, I knew I would go back for more. They are sweet, juicy and even fragrant this year. Totally outside and exceeding my expectation of apricots. With that being said, it is still a funny fruit, because it's one of the few fruits which tastes better and smells many times more wonderful when cooked. I love making tart and jam out of it. Especially jam, its color can go from cheerful yellow to luscious amber, depending on the batch of the fruit. Either way, the taste is divine. I have made several batches this year and you can see how the color changes from batch to batch. I think that's part of the fun and they are all equally delicious.


Two pounds of apricot make about three jars like you see in the above picture. That's the way I like to make jam now, a small scale production. Not only is it faster, but also I feel no pressure to finish them completely before making another batch in the kitchen. Below is my favorite recipe.

Confiture d'abricot

- 900 g washed, stoned and quartered apricots
- 630 g white sugar (70% of the fruit weight)
- juice from half of a plump lemon
- 1 tbsp of apricot liquor (optional)

Combine apricot and sugar in a non-reactive bowl. Macerate the fruit for at least a couple of hours. Overnight is fine. I noticed that the apricot flavor was drawn out greatly by this maceration process. Just smell the pot at the beginning and at the end of maceration. You will see what I mean. Also, it is said that sugar maceration firms up the fruit which will remain intact in the final jam.

You can see water coming out during the maceration process. All the flavor and pectin are there. Take a deep breath. Arhh. This picture produced the leftmost jar in the first picture.






Bring the pot to a lively boil for 10 minutes until apricots are softened. Stir occasionally and gently. You can use microwave to speed up the process. Make sure all sugar has dissolved at this stage. This is how it looks like after 10 minutes. Don't be alarmed by the foam. The foam will dissipate further during cooking. Skimming too early or too diligently leads to less jam in the end.


Then turn the heat to medium or low. This is to have a clear jam in the end. Keep cooking the apricot for another 20 to 30 minutes. Stir from time to time. This is how it looks like after 20 minutes (since cooking started). You can see how foam has disappeared from the surface.


At this stage, the apricot jam should be near setting point. Add in lemon juice and apricot liquor (if using). Stir to mix and cook for another 5 minutes. Use a candy thermometer to see whether the jam internal temperature has reached 105C. Pour into sterilised jars. Screw the caps tight while the jam is hot. This picture and the above made the jam which is in the middle jar of the first photo.

I like to have it on lightly buttered toasted bread or on plain yogurt. Or if you are like my hubby, on its own with a spoonful. I hope you like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment